Are you a newbie in the writing industry, wondering how to put your work out for the world to have a piece of you? Well, I’m here to hold your hand and show you how.
If you’re like me when starting, you’re probably looking for a great free blogging platform where you’ll gradually build your audience as you keep polishing your skills.
Medium is an excellent place to start.
But, do you know how to write a blog post on medium? Briefly, here’s what you need to do:
- Create a medium account
- Study medium’s guidelines on writing
- Pick your topic of interest
- Give your article a title
- Get started on the writing process
- Format and edit your post
- Add images
- Publish and share your post
In this article, I’ll be sharing all the experts’ tips on how you can publish your articles on Medium for tangible results! So, make sure to read to the very end.
How To Write A Blog Post On Medium
- Create A Medium Account
The first step toward writing on Medium is to create an account on the platform.
There are two ways to create an account. One is by starting the sign-up process from scratch, while the other is linking your medium account to your Google account.
Simply go to your search engine and type out medium.com. Once on the homepage, check the site’s top right corner and click on the “Get Started” function. Click on it and follow the prompts.
You can also link your social media accounts to your Medium account. This way, you can get followers from your socials to read the articles you post and share with them links wherever you publish something new.
After securing yourself an account, the next thing you want to do is set up your profile and writer’s bio.
Make your bio short, clear, precise, and enjoyable. Think of your bio as an elevator pitch of who you’re and what you do. At a glance, your bio should make your readers want to interact with you.
- Study Medium’s Guidelines on Writing
After setting up your account and having a solid bio, the next step is to review Medium’s Guidelines thoroughly.
The guidelines work like house rules for writing and publishing on their site. So, take your time reading these guidelines even when you’re not aiming at making money by writing on Medium. Understand what their deal-breakers are and avoid them.
Some guidelines, such as the no plagiarism rule, will also help you stay woke when writing a blog post for posting on medium.
- Pick Your Topic Of Interest
Once you’ve carefully studied the guidelines provided, it’s time you pick your topic of interest.
How do you pick your topic when you have no clue?
- Google any topics and check the ‘People Also Ask” section; comprehensively discuss those questions in your medium blog post
- If you’ve published content in the past (not necessarily on medium), check which topic(s) generated the most traffic or impressions – base your medium post on the same subject.
- Check the news headlines or whatever is trending on social media – write a well-thought-of article on the same subject.
- Check the most trending posts on the medium or the questions people are asking in the comment section(s) and write on that – write a better, detailed but unique article.
- Give Your Article A Title
Have you ever heard that first impressions matter? Well, your title is your first impression of your blog post. Let it grasp and hold your readers’ attention. Your title will determine if they’ll keep reading or dismiss your article and move to the next one.
Also, let your title reflect what your content is about and the value your readers will get from reading your blog.
Remember, titles are essential to your blog post because they also play a role in SEO. So, throw in a few keywords to your main title and at least one subheading and you’ll be good to go.
Please note, when picking a title, avoid clickbait as much as possible. Better said, don’t use your title as a tool to attract readers, yet your content fails to deliver the promise made.
Click baits are annoying and time-wasting, and they eventually wash off your audience’s trust in your work. A good example is using, “An Angry Bride Slaps the Groom at the Alter!” as your title, but the article shows a wedding that starts and ends happily. That’s annoying!
You’ll also have a high chance of getting kicked out of Medium because that violates their guidelines.
- Writing Process
You can write a blog post on your Medium account in two ways. The first option is to type your work on Medium until you’re done.
Or, you can import it from your Word document or Google Docs. To do so, start by copying and pasting your title from wherever your document is to Medium’s title section. Then copy and paste the rest of the article’s body from your source into Medium.
You’ll follow similar instructions for writing, but the only difference is that you’ll type fresh content, while in the other, you just copy and paste.
Here’s how you go about it:
- Once you’re logged in to your Medium account, click on your profile image section. You’ll see a scroll bar with several options such as “Write a story,” “Stories,” “Stats’” and more.
- Select the first option of “Write a story.” That action should take you to another screen where you’ll have a blank space to write on.
- Now, write your title and subtitles and complete your article body. Or simply copy and paste written work to Medium as discussed above.
That’s it! Easy peasy, right? Medium is indeed an accessible platform, even for a total newbie.
- Formatting and Editing Your Article
After you’re done writing, the next step is to ensure you format and edit your work.
Simple ways to edit your work:
- Use header tags for your headings and subheadings. For example, use header tag 1 for your main title. Luckily, Medium does that for you automatically through their internally built-in editor. Use H2 for subheadings and H3 for subheadings that fall under H2s.
- Cut all the parts in your work that don’t make sense.
- Check the alignment and spacing of your work. Ensure that you’ve used spacing that doesn’t make your words look crowded. In addition, use consistent spacing throughout your post.
- Add Images
You’re through with the most tasking steps on how to write a blog post on Medium. The next step is to make your post catchy by using attractive images.
Think of pictures like how you’d dress and present your food. It serves to build your appetite, right? The same thing applies to images in your article. So, pick images that relate to your article and pictures that grab the reader’s attention.
You can get free images from Canva or Pixel. Always remember to get copyright-free pictures, or you’ll be in trouble.
Adding images on Medium is pretty simple. Here’s how to do it:
- Identify where you want to place your picture, and press the enter key on your keyboard.
- You’ll see a plus sign, and when you click on it, you’ll see a camera icon.
- Click on the camera icon and upload the image of your choice
You can now add more images throughout your article. However, be careful not to flood your work with images. The secret is to use them in moderation. Also, don’t add a picture immediately after the title; it doesn’t sit right.
- Publish and Share Your Post
Once you’re done, thoroughly proofread your article one more time. Use Grammarly to help you with grammar, sentence structure, and readability issues. Ensure your work is fluff-free and has zero plagiarism. When you’re done, click on the green icon with the word ‘Publish” on it.
You’ve done it. That’s how you write a blog post on Medium. After publishing your blog post, share the link with your network. You can do it by sharing on all your social media platforms and on Linkedin.
Encourage your friends and family to reshare within their networks too. Don’t forget to tell them to engage with your content by leaving comments about what they think about the post or if they have any additional information on the topic of discussion.
Comments will help improve user interaction. They also play a role in boosting your SEO if they have keywords. So don’t shy away from your readers’ feedback.
That’s how you generate traffic, and before you know it, you’ll have a significant following or even a community that you get to connect with deeply.
If you were thinking about writing a blog post but were hesitant about where to start, I hope this article has helped shed some light on how to write a blog post on Medium.
Personally, when starting, Medium was my go-to because it’s free and easy to use. I consider it one of the few beginner-friendly sites for blogging.
Now that you’ve got the hang of it, practice, practice, and practice some more. Remember, practice makes progress.
It would be significant and beneficial if you pause and take action immediately.
Sign up with Medium, and write your post. There’s no better way to master a skill than by putting them to the test.